Re: H. 'Blue Beauty'

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Blue Beauty'
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:02:31 EST

In a message dated 11/15/01 4:26:42 PM, CCREDUX@aol.com writes:

<< iya Marvin!
You might recall that you sent everyone a message telling them that I was
wrong in naming my pic 'Blue Beauty'; that it should have been 'Birchwood
Blue Beauty'; that this was per Mark Zilis, a hosta "expert", as you called
him; and, that the first sign of wisdom is getting names right, or sumpthin
like that. Welllllllllll---ahemm, cough cough----I just got Mark's book and
,on page 78, he lists 'Blue Beauty' and in his description states , viz., "
formerly 'Birchwood Blue Beauty'."
I just happened to run across this.
Clyde Crockett

Mr. Crockett:

If my memory serves me correctly this discussion started on October 12, 2001
when you sent a picture labeled 'Blue Beauty Soules.'  On October 15 you
wrote me that the picture was taken at Soules Garden and the plant was 'Blue
Beauty.'  As you know there are plants that do end in'Soules.'  Hence the

On October 13th I send to the Hosta Library my pdf file on 'Blue Beauty.' It
states that the name is 'Blue Beauty,' and that the secondary name is
"Birchwood Blue Beauty (HN) or a horticultural name.  In the reference
section under Zilis it states the index pages 78, 86, 534 where information
can be found. On the bottom line under 'Other' it says ==formerly called
'Birchwood Blue Beauty.'   You may go to the Hosta Library under Birchwood
Blue Beauty and see the pdf file that I sent on that date.

Yes,. you were wrong in labeling the picture as 'Blue Beauty Soules'.

A copy cat

Marvin (Mike) Lemke