restoring computer

  • Subject: restoring computer
  • From: bob <bobaxe@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:33:07 -0600

Good morning
	This is for Stuart if he wants it and maybe Ran but it should work for
most people running windows. I am sending this to alot of the lists so
everyone can see it. There might even be an easier way to install these
backup files but this is the way I have done it.

	These are the files in the backup cab files in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP
folder. If you unzip them somewhere and run the find function on your
computer and see where each file is at you can then go into dos(must
boot up in dos, not just go to a dos window) and copy the backup ones
into these folders. I have done it before and it works pretty slick,
puts your computer back a week or 10 days. The most important one to
copy is system.dat which contains the actual registry settings and
user.dat which I am sure is user profiles.
	I guess I should add that I don't know if it is called for in this
case(Stuart's virus) since I have never removed this particular virus
but this really works if you need to take your computer back a few days
before something happened to it.
		Websites http://gardensights.com
                Hosta Library http://hostalibrary.org/