RE: He's working on it! Virus

  • Subject: RE: He's working on it! Virus
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:40:14 -0500

Hi Dian & Bob

Don't necessarily blame your server... Many sites you visit install small
programs on your computer for collecting data for that purpose.  Also, when
you log on to a site, the site can retrieve information while you are there
giving your name, email, isp, etc etc which can then later be used.

There is a program (freeware) called adaware you can install and use to
search your computer for this spyware. It will identify it and remove it for
you.

There is another program, Bob, that allows you to avoid downloading all that
useless mail. It will log on for you and present you with a listing of the
email waiting on your server. You can then choose which ones to delete prior
to spending the time downloading them.  I believe I mentioned it on here
before - it's called eremove.  If anyone wants either of these - send me an
email or do a search.

There are filters in MS Outlook and Outlook express that you can set to
delete or move certain emails to another folder...  There are specific rules
you can setup in these programs to watch for a sender, a word in the subject
or certain text, such as 'mortgage, loan, diploma, etc.' They work. I've had
mine set up for some time.

Helen