RE: email & spyware, Bob

  • Subject: RE: email & spyware, Bob
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 04:09:08 -0500

Hi Bob

No, but Diane seemed to feel her server was at fault... Anyway, NO, I was
not referring to cookies.  I was referring to spyware.  Spyware is installed
and your personal movements on the net, what you buy, what your interests
are, the sites you visit, what you download, etc, are tracked, and reported
back to the interested party.  Many so called 'freeware' programs contain
spyware. Because of the uproar it's been causing with people who place a
value on their privacy, a number of 'free' programs now notify you in
advance of this presence, sometimes before you download, sometimes during
the install process, (which I personally, now abort). Some of the better
known ones are Mozilla, Smart Download, (from Netscape!), and Doubleclick to
mention a few.

The eremove program takes 392kb on my drive. A VERY small price to pay for
the convenience.
I probably somehow missed the start of the discussion - just picked it up
tonight. Do you ever sleep Bob? I have insomnia... what's your excuse <g>?

Helen