AHS Online Auction -- Non-US Bidders

  • Subject: AHS Online Auction -- Non-US Bidders
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:34 -0500

Hi Everyone in other countries,
        Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this subject. I had a
problem with my mail not going through to one of the people in the discussion.
Depending on where you live, I may have good news. If you live in the UK or
can get there, the post below mine here will be a pleasant surprise, but I
don't know if anything can be done for those who can't get there. As you'll
see when you read it, Mike Shadrack on behalf of the British Hosta and
Hermerocallis Society will endeavor to make it possible for BHHS members to
bid in the auction.
        The AHS itself is still unable to come up with a workable solution for
this. On their part, the main problem is that the donations already accepted
were accepted on the condition of shipping to be paid by the donor within the
US. All items presently in there with the exception of Brian Skaggs' donations
are there under those terms. Typically, this would cost $5 US or so. Shipping
overseas with the necessary phyto would cost more like $40 US and involve
several hours to track down and get the necessary paperwork. As some plants in
the auction will likely go for less than that $40, it becomes a losing
situation for the AHS to offer to pay for it themselves. Given that this
auction is held and donations are given to help raise funds for the AHS and
specifically its Journal, I'm sure you can see where the problem lies. I don't
see a way out of this problem for the AHS.
         On the other hand, the solution offered by Mike does solve this
problem for UK bidders. I'm sure someone in Canada (Bill Nash maybe?) could
work something out with someone near the border (Ran Lydell maybe) to hold
their plants that they won bids on until they could come over and pick them
up. As for our other European friends and members, talk to each other ---
maybe one of you is coming to the US and could pick up plants won in the
auction, or visiting the UK and could meet with Mike there  I'm not sure, but
I think the EU has relaxed some of the phyto requirements between member
countries, is this correct?
         There are ways for people to work this out if they really want to. No
one is excluded from the auction because of where they live, it is the matter
of how they can get their plants that is the problem. In these types of
auctions, the AHS only serves as a go-between between bidders and donors.
Successful bidders must reach accomodation with the donor to receive their
plant. Money is refunded if this is not possible, but this may take some time
as payment must be made before the donor is notified of the winning bidder's
name, so do not bid lightly if you are unsure you can arrange payment and that
you can reach reasonable terms with the donor wherever they might live.
        Payment should be possible using credit cards or other ways to
transfer the correct amount in US funds to the AHS, so this should not be too
difficult for the non-US bidder. If payment cannot be made, the donated item
would have to be offered to the next highest bidder, so please be sure you
have a way to transfer funds before you bid. Mike offers a method of payment
below for UK bidders.
        Regarding donations, I don't see why there would be any objection to
plants being donated from people in other countries under the same conditions.
Please check with Auction Chairman Don Dean before doing this at
dedean@ties.k12.mn.us  . Someone across the pond could donate with the
stipulation that only shipping within the EU is included, and other bidders
would have to pick up the plant or make their own arrangements with the donor.
Please familiarize yourselves with the auction rules before going ahead with
this. Canadians could do the same, for shipment only within Canada.
        One problem that unfortunately cannot be solved with this particular
auction is that the auction software is only accepting US addresses. This was
an unintential oversight due to our being new to working with this software,
and cannot be fixed now that the auction is underway. If you wish to bid or
donate and cannot take advantage of Mike's offer, please contact me
personally, and I will find a way around this problem, and act as a go-between
for you.
        The AHS is, after all, a North American organization, and it does not
have enough members outside of North America to be able to set up the
necessary arrangements for overseas members. All who work for it are
volunteers offering their time and effort to advance the cause. If anyone
would like to volunteer to set up arrangements similar to Mike's for
continental Europe, or other parts of the world, it would be a welcome
addition. Please contact Don Dean at the above address if you wish to offer to
help in this way.

                                    .............Bill Meyer, Public Relations
Director, AHS

p.s. Can someone please copy this to other lists where I am not a member?

Dear Hostaphile.

The American Hosta Society have organised a wonderful on-line auction of rare
and unsual hostas.  Don Dean, The Auctions Committee chair, has asked me to
draw this to your attention and explain how it will work for those UK
hosta collectors who may wish to take part.
Firstly, it must be pointed out that there have been several smaller auctions
on line in recent years which have been very successful.   Making a bid and
having a bid accepted is much easier than you may at first think.
Everything is explained on the web site that is attached (hot linked) to the
AHS homepage at http://hosta.org   Here you will find all the information
that you need together with descriptions of all the wonderful plants on
offer.
Should you make a successful bid for one of the excellent plants being
auctioned you will be notified.
Special arrangements have neen made to assist you to pay for the item and to
receive it in good order.  Don Dean will inform me and the successful bidder
of their winning bid.  I will ask the purchaser to send me a cheque for the
sterling equivalent of the winning bid.    I will pay the American Hosta
Society for your plant in dollars.
The wonderful plant will be delivered to our American Membership liaision
officer, Kathy Guest, at her US address, and I will arrange for your hosta to
be delivered to you here in the UK.  What could be simpler?
If you have a problem registering a UK address on the Auction Website please
use your own name, followed by BHHS and the following address
C/o  494 North Street,
East Aurora,
NY 14052 - 1446
USA
I really do urge you to take a look at the auction.  The site is attached
(hot linked) to the AHS homepage at http://hosta.org    This is a way of
obtaining some really rare plants and with the exchange rate so good at the
moment, now would be a very good time to take part in this exciting
adventure.
If you require further explanation please call me, not at the above address
but at H8staman@aol.com, which is the email address that I will be using
whilst in America.
Happy hunting.

Mike Shadrack