Re: prepping for winter

  • Subject: Re: prepping for winter
  • From: Marie hostas@gmx.at
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:23:49 +0100 (MET)

> Our temps dropped into the 30's and 40's a month ago, and I have been
> watching my hostas turn golden. echoing the yellows of a million maple
> leaves
> cascading down over them.  I have always cleaned up my garden at the end
> of
> the season  in the hope that I can be off and running in the spring.
> Obviously, this year is different, and maybe that's one of the fun things
> that keep us on our toes.
>
>  It's just too cold to do more than plant the many bulbs I always over-buy
> as
> I dream of  spring.  Would someone
>  be kind enough to tell me if my garden of hostas will survive if I just
> leave it under it's blanket of leaves.   Thanks for the usual good advice
> often find in this dedicated group of  hosta devotees.
>
> Betty Barrows
> Kinderhook, NY
> Zone 5 in my protected and totally shady garden  -

Hi Betty! Yes, they are going to survive really well under those leaves.
Depending on the thickness of the blanket of leaves, you can leave them on, not
bothering about them in spring at all. They just decompose and add some extra
compost to your soil (the earthworms like this as well!) If the blanket is
really thick, then you might want to remove some of it in spring, so you don4t
suffocate the upcoming hostas. Hope this helps! THis is my opinion /
experience. I4m sure there are different opinions on this subject. If there are any,
then you4ll hear about them soon enough :-)
Bye

--
Marie from now very frosty Austria

NEU: Mit GMX ins Internet. Rund um die Uhr f|r 1 ct/ Min. surfen!