seed "silk"

At Hybridizers' meeting in Ann Arbor about 10 days ago, we talked about
the fact that individual pollen grains go down the pistol to each ovary,
one pollen grain per ovary, similarly to what happens in a corn plant
(that is corn silk, folks - one silk per kernel of corn).

When cleaning Hosta seed this weekend, I found seed with very clear
"silk."  If you would like to see the photo (132 KB file size), I will
gladly send it to you.

If you are interested, e-mail me PRIVATELY, please.

Charles Tuttle
Columbus,  OH

PS:  Question for you geneticists:  Are all grains of pollen on a single
anther genetically identical or is each one different?