Message From The AHS Auction Chair

  • Subject: Message From The AHS Auction Chair
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:14:59 -0500

Hi Everyone,
           Here is a message from AHS Auction Chair Don Dean about the
just-finished AHS Online Auction. Looks like everything went really well with
their first effort in this area, and I'm sure the few small bugs will all be
gone by next time. Congratulations, guys on a successful auction.
                                                ......Bill Meyer

Robins Notice

AHS On-line Auction '02            11/11/02

Well, it is all over but the shouting and cheering! I have made up for my
personal absence around the house (here, but not here) with a dinner out
Saturday and cooking a special dinner tonight for my wife - yes, I think I am
still married.

Results are now posted at http://auction.hosta.org/auction , you may go
directly there or get there via www.hosta.org and select the auction button.
The credit card function is now up and running. There have been many positive
reactions and wishes for improvements submitted. We are looking at all of
them. I only owe one apology for blowing off steam at a mailer that I realize
was frustrated, but only after I vented at him! Not bad for a first running
with this new system. Final tallies are not in as there are five adjustments
(being made) in top bid due to a clock catch-up period after a repair. In
addition, two additional Walek speaking engagements have been offered which
may be taken by the other bidders at the second highest bid of $210. Another
plant of H. 'Babbling Brook' (which I will personally take care of), an
individual will match the high bid of $54. He contacted me immediately upon
not able to get a bid through during the brief down time on Saturday. We are
pushing the $5,400 - $5,500 mark!!!!!!!!!

There is no way to express enough thanks to all those that showed patience
while we scrambled behind the scenes (or screens?) to correct problems. Nor
are there enough thanks for those that did so generously donated (many of them
the same people that always come through with plants for the rest of us), or
those of you that got into the spirit of this being an attitude more than
"let's get a deal" and bid in the spirit of donating to the society! I have
received a personal thanks for donating - if you know others that have
donated, a personal note is always appreciated.

This, plus half the First Look auction in February, plus two raffles in
Spokane, and the live auction in Spokane did it. We have made up a two year
deficit in projected budgets in a single year! We are back!!!

The following represent the five plants that show a high bid that came in
after the time had elapsed. The bid goes to the second highest bidder that is
posted (individuals involved should have received an Email from me earlier
this evening):

H. 'Bottom Line' winning bidder is  'Shel' at $33  not 'Rudolf' at $35

H. 'Lakeside Pincushion' winning bidder is 'stealer' at $55 not 'renaldo75' at
$56

H. 'Golden Ghost' winning bidder is  'fmule1" at $89 not 'Wart' at $90

H. 'Specked Gecko' winning bidder is  'Bailley' at $98.89 not 'stealer' at
$100

H. 'Praying Hands' winning bidder is 'nmb_48150' at $46 not 'slugchaser' at
$51

Thanks on behalf of the On-line Auction Committee and myself,

Don Dean

AHS