From: owner-hosta-open@hort.net [mailto:owner-hosta-open@hort.net]On
Behalf Of M Singer
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 4:29 AM
To: hosta-open@hort.net
Subject: Re: Virus in hosta

I believe that Dutch Elm disease is a fungal, not viral. The fungus
growth
itself blocks the transfer of water in the plant. May be splitting hairs
here, but it seems that the only host seems to be they zylem of elms.
BUT, for those of us still growing elms, and in here in Michigan, Ash
and
oak trees.  The wood, is considered 'contaminated'.  In the case of
Elms,
the fungus is in the zylem, but it 'fruits/spores' on the bark which can
then be spread, ditto Oak wilt disease.  In some cases we are required
have the wood removed immediately (cannot store and burn) to approved
disposal sites which will burn the wood to eliminated the possiblity of
spread.

Mary