Pod Development

  • Subject: Pod Development
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 06:15:58 -0500

For the first time I brought entire plants in the house at the end of the
season. These plants were in full bloom  and there was not sufficient time
outside the the flowers to be pollinated and  the pods to mature. One of
these plants was H. 'Katsuragawa'. This blooms very late here in Vermont.
As the flowers opened I did the first 4 flowers at the bottom of the scapes
by selfing them. I then went on to other pollen, but I have always tried to
self my plants first. Of 47 flowers , about 45% took the pollen and have
developed pods. I had run out of other pollen from the outside plants (and
the frozen pollen I had used), and switched to selfing the last few
blossoms on the flower scapes. These took. I had also selfed in the middle
of he scape.

The bottom few selfed  seed pods split two days ago and were ripe for
plantind. The next day the two middle 'selfed' pods opened and were ready
to plant. This morning, the top top selfed pods had split and were ready.
All of the other pods on the plant show no immediate promise of splitting.
Is there any connection in the mmaturity of pods and the flowers which have
been selfed? Does the type of pollen effect the development rate of the
seeds? I know that this could simply be anomalous, but I have never paid
any attention as to when pods have been ready outside before this? Any
theories or ideas?

Hebdomad  n: a week; seven days
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.