Re: Pod Development

  • Subject: Re: Pod Development
  • From: "Bill Nash" raffi@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:50:07 -0500

>>>---------glen williams et al--------->> GLEN WROTE/quote>>
>All of the other pods on the plant show no immediate promise of splitting.
> Is there any connection in the mmaturity of pods and the flowers which have
> been selfed? Does the type of pollen effect the development rate of the
> seeds? I know that this could simply be anomalous, but I have never paid
> any attention as to when pods have been ready outside before this? Any
> theories or ideas?

Firstly Glen -- Bravo -- on UR indoor-seed-ripening of KAT'beni-Giboshi
pollination, which I've seen/done myself, over and over again.  On the matter
of seed-pods which are not showing any signs of "SLITS" in pods (and therefore
not mature yet?) <<and please note; this is spelt SLITS..not SCHLITZ (the
beer-eh?) *laugh*

 I would like to advise you --GLEN-- to not cut/harvest these unripe seed-pods
-- until such time, as you do see them beginning to "split" open.  Planting
unripe hosta seeds, results in nothing at all sprouting-wise <<and y'all knew
that..right?>>

IN my 1st year at this game, I did my indoor seed-ripening; with one item
being H. longipes var. latifolia *Grand Slam* (a late season, September
blooming hosta?) and *THE SLIT* aspect didn't show itself until the end of
February.  I waited patiently, and these seeds, did show tremendous
plant-sprouting results, by fully ripened seeds, not collected until the SLIT
WAS THERE.

On the redness in the hosta leaf aspect; and particularly pertaining to
Katsuragawa Beni hosta-kids, I HAD ALWAYS THOUGHT <=> that this
red-gene-pool-trait, might be a mature plant characteristic aspectt; and
meaning that, the red-leaf-coloring: might not be seen until seedlings are
matured.  By my seedling trials with Kat, I've seen that this is not true.
The red leaf stem factor is seen brilliantly, as early as the third-leaf
growing stage, so it is therefore, right there at the beginning. and not a
trait geared to mature plant status/form (just my thoughts on this now, and
having seen this happen really early via seedlings)

On your querry, Glen, as to whether or not, the pollen-parent factor: will
affect the time it takes for the pod-parent's seed to ripen? -- WELL -- I
ain't no scientist, so perhaps, you need to talk to someone like Mr. Ben
Zonneveld/or others, whom have Scientist credentials? I'm just a plain ole
MUD-WRESTLING gardener -- <<nothing more>>
     HOWEVER, I think I can recall, seeing e-mails from Mr. Zonneveld of
Holland, suggesting that the time-wait-factor, for seed-ripening in hostas, is
a 10-week minimum waiting game <or pretty near, something like that?> and
this, makes a lotta sense to me, having seen this with Grand Slam hosta
already.  TO WHIT: I'm using a bright sunny window, facing south, to ripen
seeds indoors; and to this, I've added fluorescent fixtures over top of these
plants, lights-ON non-stop, when hostas are on this window-shelf, ripening
their seeds.  Time frame factor I use now, to calculate when seeds are fully
ripe is 10 weeks after pollination.  But then, I also make sure, there are
*SLITS* showing on them pods, before I cut them off...right?  U just gotta
---*<< RESPECT THEM 'SLITS' >>*--- :>/  H'mmmmmmmmmm

<< -- hope this helps (sumpin?) >>

BEST t'U'all, who have read this far..
 and understood what I've thrown at ya..
 in my word'slingin'slang-style? And..