Re: Freezing Seeds ( To Kleid Krokodil CLYDER AND hehe /B>)) be happy

  • Subject: Re: Freezing Seeds ( To Kleid Krokodil CLYDER AND hehe /B>)) be happy
  • From: "Bill Nash" raffi@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:40:30 -0500

>>>--- Born on a mountain top in Tennessee, KLYDER, clyder'CROCKET --->>
"HEHE" :>)) HEY, where u been hiding CC?

Remember way back when? --  WHEN U'WAS -- managing editor of that THJ, er
something like that; and de ole AHS-Honza-Internet-Robin was *Rock n' Rollin*
-- yeah sure, U remembers..right, don't ya?  WELL,
                                                              about that same
time,

                a hosta connoisseure fella, by the name of Doctor Ralph (Herb)
Benedict of Michigan <whom I'd never met?> had leaked out somehow; into a Kenn
Skrupky Scientific ROBIN, that all of the Benedict-hosta-seed < is stored
"frozen" > and this sprouts plants even 20-years later.  At the time, I was
the hosta-seed-bank chairperson for our newly formed Ontario Hosta Society
(OHS), Chartered in 1995, so I started "stocking" (spelling< = >dunno?) Doctor
Benedict, that is -- because I just had to know how he did his
hosta-seed-storage thing -- the success or failure of our OHS seed-bank --
might be dependent on this kind of information, I thought to myself?  Every
week, I fired off a letter to Benedict, asking for his recipe, of STORING
HOSTA SEED FROZEN, self addressed stamped envelopes enclosed?  Funny thing
here, one cannot mail from the United States of America, using Canadian
postage stamps, so this letter was double postage tax=payment-due, when I got
it.

Finally, in the reply letter, AND TO WHIT: here is what Doctor Benedict wrote
me:

--> Hosta-seed must be fully dried before freezing, and this must be done as
fast as possible, preferrably within a two week period, no longer. DONE right
inside the dryness & warm-conditions inside the house.
--> CAREFUL and exact-labelling as to parentage of each seed batch, must be
done.
--> Seed, must be inside an air-tight container, like a glass-presserving-jar,
TO PREVENT "long-term freezer-burning on the seed".
--> HOSTA-SEEDS stored this way *frozen* will sprout plants even 20-years
later.

SIMPLE AS THAT ''Kleid Krokodil" clyder, ET AL

B>))
bill nash would like to wish Y'all and all ur LOVES:
THE ABSOLUTE BEST!
on this wonderful season of the year?
AND OF COURSE,
for MANY years to come?