RE: Question on over wintering hosta in pots

  • Subject: RE: Question on over wintering hosta in pots
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:03:31 -0800 (PST)

The freeze/thaw thing probably causes more loss than
all the disease's etc put together. Many do "cleanup"
around the plants which exposes the crown to
freeze/thaw. I strongly recommend mulch of some form,
lawn mower-ed leaves my be the best. Most freeze/thaw
problems occurs in the spring, mulch will hold back
early emergence and protect the crown from
freeze/thaw.

My question is how low will they go unprotected?

--- George Africa <bizplanr@together.net> wrote:

> Everyone's points on over wintering are important to
> consider. Last year
> was "warm" here and the coldest couple days were -26
> F.  I would not
> leave any in pots here without covering to protect
> against ice forming
> on top.
>
> George Africa

Butch