Re: Hosta Viruses

In a message dated 11/19/98 12:06:19 AM Central Standard Time, CCREDUX@aol.com
writes:

<< Culling out," as you put it, is not a solution.

 I do not quite understand what you mean by "the 'cure' would be worse than
the
 problem." The problem is that the AHS has been spending a lot of our money in
 the wrong places.  If that is what you meant, I agree. I shall sign my name.
 Will you do so?

culling out is the solution if you have infected plants they should be
destroyed,
The reason the AHS is spending moony on this is that they have to spend it on
SOMETHING, I think this is as good a problem to spend money on as any.
I would put it down as "preventive research" just incase a problem were to
develop.
Virus transmission is difficult at best, in most cases it takes fluid exchange
from an effected plant. Since sap sucking insects are not as common on Hosta
as other plants this is not a common vector. The use of tools to trim plants
that are infected and then using that tool on a none infected plant Might be a
transfer vector.
All in all-the average Hosta gardener should not worry about this "problem."

For those that might be interested in the symptoms of viral infection here
they are:
chlorosis = the lose of green chlorophyl or yellowing.
Mottling = yellow or and white spotting or streaks.
Blotching = large white or bleached areas
streaking of flower color.
Wilting and shriveled leaves.

 I have seen thousands of Hosta and have only seen one case of POTENTIAL virus
infection, (There may have been some asytomayic plants but these are not a
problem-most plants and animals have some viruses) the plant had large bright
yellow spots and blochtes all over the leaves, it looked very healthy.  Other
Hosta growing near by were NOT effected even after a few years living next to
the spotted plant.
The plant was tested for virus - I am told - and the test came back negative.

If you do not think culling is the answer- I would like to know what your
thoughts are on this?
 Plus what should the AHS spend it's money on??

Is your concern about viruses or about how the AHS spends it's money??

Paul Henjum
Specialty Perennials
Minnesota zone 4
<A HREF="http://hardyplants.com">http://hardyplants.com</A>