Re: Hosta Cultivars

It's kind of a complicated matter -- But one reason there are more sports in
tissue culture is that there are more divisions made.
My favorite sport in a striaghted 'Sugar and Cream' great looking Hosta,
especially for a striaghted plants.
I have about 20 mutated plants and the ones I like are the all green form of
'Mildred Seaver' And a nice deep blue green 'Jack Of Diamonds' One thing that
I have noticed is that a lot of the tissue culture 'Patriot' is vary variable.
I think I have seen about five different kinds of plants called 'Patriot,'
tissue culture labs do not promote mutations they just happen.
It cheeper and better to have a good eye.
'Minuteman' is a lot better than 'Patriot'  Another one from 'Patriot' is Fire
and Ice/Loyalist'
Seed is still the most reliable way to come up with a new plant. But in the
last few years some realy nice Hosta have come out of tissue culture