Re: Potting up hosta.

MRD902@aol.com wrote:

> Is it O.K. to pot up a dormant hosta at this time of year?
>
> Mike Deeds
> Waterloo, Ia.

Hi, Mike!  Ran's advice is good, as usual.  I get some "bargain" hostas
every October from a nursery near here (half-gallon pots of Sum and
Substance with one or two eyes, $5 each), and bury the pots in soft
soil, with the top open to the sky.  The wind, or I, push some leaves
over the top.  They come up next May with two or three eyes, ready for
sale.  I also have some large decorative pots, with almost-full-grown
specimen hostas.  After the killing frost I clip off the dead leaves,
carry the pots into the (unheated) garage, and bring them out again in
early May.  Be careful about watering; a freeze-thaw-freeze cycle may
cause damage or death!

Ran's comment about early forcing is very interesting; perhaps that's
how you can have some plants ready for a March or April demonstration.
		Irwin Johnson