seedlings

Greetings to all,
Things are really busy down here at this time of the year.  To be honest I
can't remember a time when things have been different. Our first freeze has
been forecast for Tue morning. Things are so dry that I doubt there will not
be enough moisture for many things to freeze. We have had only one good rain
since a week after we cane back from Ann Arbor which was in June. At least
the temperature has been more pleasant for the last few weeks. The last few
days have been in the 80s.
Today I have rushed to get the outside ready for cold weather. This meant
gathering more seed pods, which meant that I must also plant seed.
 I have learned several things this year with so many seed that have sprouted
in the pods. First I was surprised to discover that little seed that looked
flat as if there is no seed present actually do sprout and make plants.  Even
those with a lot of white on the wings will also produce plants. I found
these in the pods as I opened them for planting. After hours of struggling to
place the tiny roots into the soil, I got tired and said to myself foot
(which is my expression of disgust). At that time, I just begin to spread the
seed, roots and all on top of the wet soil. A clear plastic cover was placed
over the trays for a few days and then begin to pick the little plants (at
this stage one leaf) off the soil and transplant them into small cells. As of
now I have removed and transplanted about 500 streaked seedling. There are
more to do before I will begin on the solid leaves. Since some of the earlier
transplants now have 2 to 3 leaves it looks as if this will work. As I
continue to plant seed, the transplanting is becoming overwhelming.
Today I collected several scapes to place into water. This is the group that
was pollinated in late August. A few were already for planting. One was very
interesting for several reasons. First it was my best dark and white streaked
seedling. I have been waiting two years to use it for seed. Second I was only
able to get it to set seed with one pollen which was fine with me since was
just the type of plant I wished to use. Third the little hard part of the
seed is huge. The pod size was average but I have never seen seed that large.
Only a few were sprouted so I will be anxiously waiting to see what will
develop. The two plants that were crossed are not related. Does anyone have
an idea why only one pollen would work? I tried both fresh and frozen from at
least a dozen other plants.
More to follow when I have time.
Mary <A HREF="http://www.hostasonline.com/l/lakeside/index.html">hostasonline.
com/l/lakeside/index.html</A>