Gardening

Yesterday Roy and I traveled to Atlanta to hear Don Jacobs, owner of
Eco-Gardens, speak on Expanding our Gardening Frontiers. Many of the plants
shown and discussed were his own introductions. He told us of getting plants
our of Japan and said there was no problem if everything was kept low key.
Anyway it seems to work for him.
One of the first things that heads my want list is Cymbidium ensifolium known
as Eco Hardy-sword orchid. Not only was the plant striking but Don told us
that it perfumed the garden for a hundred feet around.
Lysimachia congestiflora Eco Dark Satin was quickly added to the second place
of honor on my list. The wonderful dark green foliage as a background really
enhanced the bright flowers.
Begonia grandis-- Eco Storm Clouds is not only beautiful but is also hardy.
How can we go wrong with that?
We were introduced to at least 9 or 10 new Helleborus. Although all were
wonderful my heart beat faster for Eco Extrovert. When the second group,
another 10 or so, appeared there was Eco Starry Bullseye, Eco Purple Snow and
Eco Ring of Fire. By that time I was lost so just marked about everything.
Trillium of various sizes shapes and colors faded in and out on the screen.
as did a variety of other plants.
Of course there is just so much one garden can hold so I suddenly remembered
that we really made the trip so Roy could see and select new Asarum. So now
you don't have to guess what he was marking.
The weather was perfect and the foliage spectacular so all in all it was a
great day.
Mary