Re: sharing

LakesideRM@aol.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Just had to tell all of you about my group of hosta seedlings now know as the
> X Files. Where they came from, I have not the foggiest. The label has just
> disappeared. When the little fellows began to leaf out a few weeks ago, they
> really caught my attention. About one-fourth of the plants are a lovely soft
> creamy yellow. Upon first seeing them I said to myself they will never make
> it. Since the substance seemed more than adequate, I gave a few of them a
> fighting chance. They continue to grow and look stronger each day. The other
> three-fourths are very dark in color. They came up with crinkles, ruffles and
> dimples. A few of these were streaked. Several of the leaves look as if they
> have been waxed. I just had to pot a few of these strange looking seedlings.
> To myself, I said I will just do 9 to see what they grow up to be. A few days
> later I felt compelled to transplant another 9. Today I finished potting 72.
> It seems I just can't leave them alone. Today I discovered they are
> developing bright red petioles. One of the brightest yellows makes a real
> contrast against this lovely red.
> If all of this work is in vain, I have still gotten its worth just watching
> them for the past weeks. Sure wish My computer would do an aging enhancement
> to show them to me five years from now. We do it with people. Where is the
> wizard that can do it for plants?
> Another thought for consideration how small is too small? A new seedling from
> Lakeside Baby Face now has 7 leaves yet the plant is only about the size of a
> nickel.
> Mary

Grretings
Watching baby hosta grow and develop is an a lot of fun iI know some of my
griends and family visably cringe when i go of on a rant about my seedlings . I
would like to comment on your question how small is to small > While i sure do
love the beasts of the hosta world like sum and substance or big mama i have
found myself increasingly entranced by many of the smaller types over the last
few years on in particular that was given to me several years ago ( possibly Host
venusta) has in 5 years formed a clump about 4" wide and 2" tall and it is one of
the cutest members of my hosta collection , amazingly this little plant produces
a 8" spike of flowers which are well over an inch i length . The leaves are no
bigger than the nail on my little finger so in my opinion if you can see it why
not grow it in the space of one sum and substance you could maintain a large
collection of dwarf hosta's
mark combellack