Re: Yesterday

 >I am waiting for the hostas to go completely dormant as this year I have
>decided to give my knees a rest. I am planning to use roundup on those fall
>weeds before spreading the pine needles.

 Does anyone
>have an idea as to the best time to use the roundup?

Mary, I am so-o-o enjoying the News from Lake Sidebegon (sorry, Garrison).
Keep them coming.

Roundup is *only* effective when plants are in active growth, I'm afraid.
That means spring and summer here in Oak Ridge..I'm not an herbicide user
(except for Roundup on the Kudzu) so I don't know alternatives. Maybe
preemergent early next spring. Hope someone else can help..I know with the
size of your place weeding is a real timeconsuming job.

Here a little north of you I'm still trying to grind up the montrous pile
of leaves my neighbor kindly gave me (i.e., blew them into a humongous pile
on top of the hosta bed after he blew all the pine needles OFF the other
hosta bed.) The earliest I can get home from work is 5:30, just about the
time it gets dark..But this week I've been grinding and filling 3 bags a
night. I wear a dust mask, but I think my lungs are still coated with an
inch or so of leaf dust. I have about half the pile done and figure working
all weekend I can get it finished. Then I just have to rake and grind my
own leaves and get the four compost bins going.

Most of the hostas are gone, just a few yellowed leaves (except for Blue
Angel, which persists). This weekend I'll move those that are still potted
down to the back where I'll water them well then lay them on their sides
and cover with a blanket of oak leaves (Thanks, Diane).

Gerry