From: Gerry/Bob O'Neill <eoneill@ibm.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: Yesterday

At 01:05 AM 11/19/99 EST, you wrote:
>oops,
>Was I suppose to grind up all those oak leaves????? Oh shoot I left
them
>whole and on top of my hostas here. If i grind them up can I leave them
there
>all the time?

Paula;

I grind mine for a couple of reasons. First, they decompose faster in
the
compost heap that way. Second, I can get the equivalent of four bags of
unground leaves in one ground bag. What I don't spread on beds and put
into
the compost heap immediately, I store in the bags til spring/summer when
start new compost heaps when I mow the lawn.  Finally, Over my main
hosta
bed stand four huge sycamore trees. The leaves are very large and
decompose
slowly, and if left on the bed they almost completely exclude water.
They
also blow into the neighbor's yard.

I think if I had oak leaves (at least the smaller species) I would leave
them whole on the beds. I have never had a vole problem, however.

Gerry