Re: Microwaving soil (Was: Re: deli-containers)

At 07:57 AM 11/21/99 EST, you wrote:
>Gerry, how about if you wet the soil before putting it in the microwave.
>little Styrofoam bits are bound to melt in the microwave.  I just don't
>relish the thought of putting the soil into the oven and perfuming the house
>with the smell.  My family have to put up with enough from me without having
>me stink up the whole house.

I would think wetting would solve the problem..but don't take my word for it!

I have heard that some people "sterilize" potting soil by cooking it on a
barbeque grill, thereby stinking up the neighborhood instead of the house.
And don't worry about the "styrofoam bits." Actually, the white pieces in
Pro-Mix are perlite, an expanded silica material (mineral), so won't melt
at any temperatures we can achieve.

Why not just buy a bag of sterilized seed-starting mix?

Gerry  (who prefers the scent of cooking soil to the stench of gas powered
leaf blowers, lawn mowers, weed-whackers, hedge trimmers, etc., etc., etc.)>