Re: Future intros for Science Fiction fans.

Future introductions, eh.

I look forward to the first appearance of transgenic hostas. It can't be
to far away. I hope by the year 2005 or thereabouts.

Several years ago they inserted the gene into tobacco that makes the
fire fly glow. The result is a tobacco plant that glows in the dark.
This is used as a marker in gene gun experiments.

Genetically altered corn that produces BT in is pollen is widely grown.
Here's an organic control for the corn earworm that won't make many
organic gardeners happy. New research is focused on the effect this corn
pollen will have on Monarch butterflies. The corn grows great and is not
affected by the ear worm.

Monsanto has a patent on their genetically altered  Roundup Ready
Soybean and coincidently also holds the patent on Roundup. These beans
grew great in my area this year. When the soybeans are 8 inches high or
so the farmer sprays the whole field, beans and all, for weed control.
This kills all of the weeds but the beans seem to thrive on Roundup.

Thirty miles away the U. of D. is inserting genes into phragmites
austrailis (a terrible aquatic weed very common in this area) in the
hopes of developing strains that can extract heavy metals from sewage
sludge. The game plan is that the phragmites is harvested, and the heavy
metals extracted and recycled.

The N.I.H. is inserting H.I.V. resistant stem cells that are transgenic
into the bone marrow of H.I.V. patients so these patients can produce
their own H.I.V. resistant white blood cells. There have been promising

I know two people who run labs that have gene guns One does plant tissue
culture and the other does animal tissue culture.

As this technology gets more wide spread the likelihood of a hosta
finding itself in front of a gene gun gets higher and higher. Red leaves
on hostas can't be too far away.

Got'a run, Star Trek comes on in a few.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE