Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #618

>As this technology gets more wide spread the likelihood of a hosta
>finding itself in front of a gene gun gets higher and higher. Red
>leaves on hostas can't be too far away.

Would a transgenic hosta still be a hosta?  I know and understand the
benefits of genetic engineering, and also its danagers.  While there
is little chance that a transgenic hosta would end up unleashing some
ultimate cataclysmic destruction of life on earth, I wonder which
would be more enjoyable, the red leaved hosta developed naturally or a
genetically engineered red leafed hosta?  The potential for genetic
engineering is almost unlimited, assuming we don't release into the
environment some undesirable results, which is a LOT easier to do then
many people think, and end up killing off ourselves.

Joe Halinar