The AHS Robin

In case you have not heard, the AHS as done away with its sponsorship of the
subject listserve.Here is the message from Jim Wilkins:

<<Dear Members of The American Hosta Society Electronic Mail Robin:

        It is with deep regret that I am making the following announcement
about The American Hosta Society Electronic Mail Robin.  I feel that the
robin is an asset to our members and many great ideas and questions have
been addressed both in regards to hostas and our society.

        Sadly, under the first AHS Robin, there was the potential for civil
action (lawsuit) because we had a robin with no rules and individuals felt
they were slandered and harassed by other other robin members.  Under
advise of consul that robin was terminated.   A new robin opened with robin
participation dependent upon members agreeing to certain rules and
regulations.  The administration of this robin was handled by Carolyn
Schaffner as Chairman and governed by an appointed committee of three.
Recently several individual members have been threatened with civil action.
It appears that the rules we set-forth and agreed upon to protect us from
legal culpability are now the basis for threatened legal action.  In a
nutshell, it appears we can be threatened with civil action if we have no
rules or if we do.

        As President  I feel that we cannot put at risk  assets of
individuals or, potentially, the assets of this society by continuing to
sponsor the AHS robin.  The executive committee agreed.  We were unable to
find an alternate solution for our members.

        By the vote of The American Hosta Society executive committee I am
announcing the termination of The American Hosta Society Electronic Mail
Robin.

        I want to thank Carolyn and her committee for the many hours they
labored on our behalf and for their continued dedication to the members of
this society.  I am still available to answer questions by phone
517-536-4304 (evenings).

        Lastly,  Carolyn Schaffner  and her committee have arranged to have
a robin available to our members.  I am very appreciative that they are
willing to undertake this endeavor without the involvement or sponsorship
of The American Hosta Society.

Sincerely,

Jim Wilkins,
President, The American Hosta Society>>