Thoughts for the day

The question raised as to the quality of our appreciation for a hosta with
red leaves that was created by the use of the gene gun has been playing in my
mind. I don't know the answer but then I have never been able to convince
myself that a red hosta is what I want anyway. To me the relaxing colors of
the hosta garden are just about perfect. I love the cool soft colors that are
displayed and discovered a long time ago that red was not a color I wanted
among the shade plants that I grew among the hostas and ferns. Then too we
would need to consider if the gene gun could produce a red that would hold
through the long hot summer. Here in the South the red petioles only last
until the heat arrives. Some become a muddy brown and others just fade away.

There are a lot of things to consider when man begins to mess with nature.
For an example I have not been able to buy a good tomato in the past two
years. They have been altered to improve the shipping qualities. I would like
to ask why bother to ship what is now available. The tomatoes in out stores
have been hard, have had no flavor and forgot that they should have juice. If
I shut my eyes it would be difficult to tell a green one from the so called
ripe ones. Sweet corn as well as other vegetables have also suffered some of
the same damage. At this time it is difficult to even buy garden seed that
has not been altered. Another question how does it all affect the nutrient
value or can it also alter genes in our bodies. That is probably way out but
worth thinking about.

When I read Dan's report on soybeans, I decided that the gene injected in
them must have come from one of my ivy plants. In July I decide to eliminate
this plant so literally drowned it in roundup.  I sprayed it until there was
run off. Today it is larger and greener that every. I am not well versed in
science but do agree with Joe that there may be untold danger that will
unfold as man continues to alter nature.

This is Thanksgiving and I am giving thanks. We are having rain. This is our
second since late June. I wonder if this drought is also some effect of man's
playing with Mother Nature?