Glowing Hostas

In a message dated 11/29/1999 2:15:23 PM GMT Standard Time, ranbl@netsync.net
writes:

<<
 >Both of y'alls fantasies are possible with present technologies.  Glow in
 >the blacklight Hosta could be made with a green fluorescent protein from the
 >jelly fish Aequorin (it is presently used as a marker of gene
 >transformation).

Glowing hostas, OH m, Jim this could be exciting! My first question was, will
the expending of energy needed for the glowing result in the plant being
smaller than it would not be without the glow? Would this low energy level
take enough from the plant to decrease its size?

Guess this would allow us to offer a Halloween effect in the hosta garden all
summer. All jokes aside, it might be nice to have a few glowing hostas. I can
imagine a large silver blue or a small twinkling yellow but I doubt that I
would want a large number.

Roy tells me of his experience in the Philippines during world war 2. He said
that he actually gathered fluorescent plants that were woven into mosquito
nets or ropes which the boys did not want to run into in the dark. He also
said that it was possible to read by the light given off from a bundle of
these plants.
The thing that was surprising to me was that all of the plants of that type
did not glow. I asked him if the glowing ones grew in one area and the no
glowing in another but he did not remember it that way. Apparently glowing
and no glowing grew together.  I just have to asked questions, so now I
wonder were the plants male and female? He was not able to identify the plant
in the mist of war.

Now Ben Z. has said that he as well as I am guilty of gene tampering. I wish
to state that I don't know what he is doing over there but I feel sure that
anything I am doing here could be done by the bees if I could only train them
to move in my selected path. After thinking about my school for bees which I
mentioned last week, I have decided that I had it all wrong. I should attend
the bees school. Next summer I will do more than try to avoid them as they
work the garden.
Mary <A HREF="http://www.hostasonline.com/l/lakeside/index.html">hostasonline.
com/l/lakeside/index.html</A>