Inane Observations

Dan,

Thanks for forwarding the PIX of the two bud-sports named
H.'Walek-Crockett' taken by some astute photographer at Hostas in Focus.
I see they are laterally attached with similar, tho' bilaterally opposed
arm-like appendages. I can not determine  from the photo which one is
the progenitor and which is the new aberrant. The one on the left seems
to have a label attached and appears to have more growth over time, thus
greater vigor. I suspect this may be  due to cellular mitochondrial DNA
mutations....certainly not due to chimeral rearrangements or crossovers
as claimed by Ben. The one on the right looks real mean...like it has an
"attitude". Do you think this characteristic could be genetically
transmitted?

In spite of their rather uncouth appearance,  they both seem to have
survived in a rigorous and hostile environment. Also, both seem to have
a peculiar and sinister "glow" about them. Do they look radioactive to
you? Do you have a Gieger counter in your lab equipment to check 'em
out?

I suggest you try to split them down the middle with a sharp
machete-like garden tool. If either of them further divides themselves
in the spring of 2000, I would certainly appreciate a piece of either to
further propagate in my garden. On second thought, maybe they should be
pruned down to their basic meristem, washed for a consideable time, then
chemically sterilized and cloned in tissue culture???What do you
think???

Jim
Original tru-blu Malcontent.