Re: Hostas Indoors?

At 10:58 AM 10/03/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I know hostas need a dormant period, and I've heard that 8
>weeks dormancy was sufficient for them. First question, is
>this true?

...Yup'luv ...that be true and six weeks will do ...34 to 37 degrees Fahrenheit

>Next, what if I wanted to refrigerate/freeze hostas? How
>would I go about doing this? I thought about it this
>weekend, and I obviously don't have room to stick 4-5 pots
>in my refrigerator crisper. What would happen if I wrapped
>the crown and roots in newspaper and 'crisped' them?
>I have a pretty big freezer in the garage and I thought
>about using that. At first I thought that would be crazy and
>kill them, but then I thought about you folks in Minnesota
>with snow up the ying-yang, and thought, hey, why not? So,
>what would happen if I put hostas in the freezer? Again,
>would I wrap it in newspaper?

Lu ...One wee question first; and then, I tell ya story bout some
experiments I did per *Simulating Cold Dormanncy Treatment of Hostas via
Refrigeration' -- done for a purpose of maximizing propagation -- later...

QUESTION: Why U wants to put them into a cold treatment indoors? ..if it
ain't cold enuff outside, move up here & I'll swap livin places with ya
anytime? <lol>

Re: Zone 7 climates -- anyone down there do any experiments growing late
flowering hosta types, just to see if the seeds will ripen outdoors, due to
later freeze up, say in late December?  Seems to me, your Z7-climate might
be a terrific spot to do this type of growing in; working frags & good
substance leaf types (longipes, rupifraga, plantagineas, etc.)?

>Anyone ever try this? Anyone ever written an article that I
>could read?
>I'm thinking if I did this now, they would be ready to take
>out in mid-December, where I can grow them indoors for a
>while, and let the ones I have inside go dormant about mid
>January. Kinda start a rotation program till spring, then
>put them outside again.
>What do you guys think would happen?
                                                       ..IMHO ..ah thinks?
..de "in de freezer bunch" gonna be dead hostas! ...maybe ah be wrong tho'!
;)  good luck on the trial?