Re: gore & a potpourri of questions

Dear list of friends (some of whom must enjoy a good political debate),
First of all, friends DO share things with each other with which not
everyone agrees.  A good friend can allow other friends to express their
opinion and not become personally offended, and will forget about it and
drive on.  And the older I get, the more I realize that it is best to not
get too bigotted on purpose--the aging process will bring that about soon
enough without our purposefully hurrying the process along.  IMO, let's face
it, the "best man or woman for the job" (of President of the United States)
will never have a chance to serve because they are not good enough liars.

So, have fun with the politics but I'm staying out of it because _______  1)
I can't allow myself to have this much fun, 2) you fill in the blank.
Should my messages ever offend or rub your feathers the wrong way, well then
by all means just hit the delete button, as that is what I am doing with any
messages that elicit a similar response from me....

Here are my Hosta related questions:
1) We have dipliods, triploids, and tetraploids.   Is that it?  Are there no
other POSSIBLE ploidy options (not counting gametes)?  If you apply
colchicine or Surflan to a diploid, something happens in the mitosis process
that can cause the cell's chromosomes to become tetraploid.  What happens if
you do the same to a tetraploid--do you get an octopus,  I mean an

2) What is the ideal temperature range for the vast majority of Hosta for
them to "believe" that it is the "growing season".  As I move Hostas from
outdoors to in, I would like to know the optimal temperature range to set
for the next 2 to 2-1/2 months.  I'm thinking that a low of 50-55 (10-12C)
and a high of 70 (21C) should be about right.  Has there been an article in
the AHSJ that I could reference?  Or another (preferably web-based) source?

3) Sodium vapor lights can be used to extend the growing cycle (coupled with
the optimal temps in question #2, we can have summer all year long!).  Is 16
hours of daylight about right?  Anyone know of any good sources for these
types of lights?

3) I recently observed that some Halcyon Hosta that were grown in containers
in the field (a shaded field) were in excellent shape for this late in the
season.  They look "fresh and crisp", i.e. no foliar necrosis whatsoever.
This plant in from "H. Tardiana grex", also known for good resistance to
slug damage.  For comparison, a plant like H. 'Twilight' has excellent
slug/pest resistance and wonderful substance, unlike Brim Cup  which could
apparently double for slug filet mignon.   Are there any plants in the
Tardiana grex that look like Brim Cup but perform like Twilight?  If so, I
would be most appreciative of a few names.  (And I have reviewed an
extensive list in WGS; finding none, I now approach some other experts).

4) Jim Hawes has been referenced as having developed a "modified" Benedict
cross, and I believe this is used in association with the Hosta Color Wheel.
Could someone point me to a reference on the Modified Benedict Cross?  (I
know what the Benedict Cross is but don't know about the Modified Benedict
Cross--is this simply the Color Wheel itself?

5) How do you say "helonioides"?  Now that I've learned how to say
"plan-taj-e-knee-a", or am at least close, I'm thinking about tackling some
of the really tough ones.  I've worked on this off and on all summer, but
alas, with this particular specioid, my linguistic acumen remains befuddled.
No matter how I say it, I can't seem to get the em-PHA-sis on the right

6) In his excellent work, "The Genus Hosta", WGS makes reference to an
"Index Kewensis" (I believe it is also known as the Kew Index).  Is this a
collection of all cultivated varieties of plants across all genera?   Anyone
able to shed some light on this Kew Index business?

That's enough...

Andrew Lietzow
The Emerging Hostaholic