Re: Politics of sorts so delete if needed.

In a message dated 10/8/00 3:17:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

<< And as for education, my understanding is that the Texas schools have been
 judged to have improved considerably based on increased test scores, which
 were achieved by teaching nothing but what was on the tests.  If it can't
 be answered with a true or false or a multiple choice, it isn't worth
 talking about cause it won't be on the test.

Chick, if you talk to most people in education you will find that most are
sick and tired of talking about tests, thinking about the tests, teaching to
the tests.  Tests drive the curriculum in most states now.  And the tests
never end, we are spending about three weeks in some grade levels testing
kids at this point, no they are not true false or multiple choice for the
most part.  Kids are expected to write an answer in a paragraph form and to
make a persuasive argument in some cases.  A rubric is used to grade the
test, which can be very subjective.

Oh, I forgot to say, they spend a liberal amount of time practicing taking
the test just so they will not be freaked out by taking the test, which most
of them are anyway.  We have done a 180 since the liberal days when all a kid
needed to do was feel good about them selves to be good students.

Narda