Lythrum salicaria

Hi All -
	I hope that  you can help me gather some information about Lythrum
salicaria aka Purple Loosestrife. Indiana has banned its propogation and
sale due to its invasiveness. However, I have been told that there are
states, regions, countries in which L.s. thrives as a desirable landscape
plant and yet is not invasive, but information about specific areas was not
provided. My assumption would be that if habitat conditions allowed L.s. to
thrive as a landscape plant the conditions would also favor its
invasiveness. So, my question to each of you....what is the status of L.s.
in your state? Please let me know if (1) it is classified as an undesirable
invasive or (2) if it is used as a landscape plant without becoming
invasive. Your experience in your own garden will not provide accurate
data, as its seeds may be carried by birds and wind. It would be great if
you could contact an authoritative source in your state (e.g., university,
agricultural extension service) and let me know what you find out....or
provide me with the URL of an authoritative website in your area.
	Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Carolyn Q. Bryson, Indianapolis