Index Keys for Hybridization Database

Hi Andrew,

Here is my response to your mature, serious question.

A human-readable numbering schema which contains unlimited intuitive
history is not likely to be invented.  However, some of the current barcode
technologies can capture large amounts of data in a 2-D image.  This
potential solution could be considered prohibitively expensive for the
casual user.  For our purposes, let us assume this will not work.

We are now left with a database (DB) of some type, absolutely required to
keep track of abbreviations (WL = William Lachman, eg.).  Seems to me that
what may be intuitive to you may not be intuitive to me so I would need a
Rosetta stone (a printout from the DB).  Given the existence of this
translator, I see no reason why the seedling initially identified as
"WLVC01" could not be subsequently re-labeled as "H@" or whatever you
choose.  The new identification would then be used in subsequent crosses
and the perfection of the six-digit identifier would remain intact.

I looked at the references you provided to the "Living Collections Module"
and it seems reasonable to design a useable subset.  Microsoft Access is a
good database management system and should provide all the power,
flexibility, and functionality need for the job.  A little education, a lot
of time and experience, and you should be on your way!  Good luck!

Floyd Rogers
(Microsoft Office instructor &
SimPOS user)

SimPOS is a Microsoft Access-based system written for and used in many
garden centers.