e-mail attachments

Hi, all computer stumble/bumbles:

When I first got on the Internet...in Feb. with an older Mac using
the basic free Eudora as the e-mail software, I couldn't open
attachments of any kind or do anything except read/send e-mail.  Then
I got Eudora 4.3 and suddenly could see photo attachments (jpg but
not bmp, whatever that is).  But when I was installing the new
Eudora, I discovered on my hard drive an attachments folder for the
old Eudora.  Lo and behold!! there were all the photos I had been
getting all spring and summer!!  As I deleted all that e-mail the
attachments were moved to this folder but NOT DELETED.  So I moved
most of them to trash and saved a few.  The same thing is happening
for new Eudora.  Although I see the new photo attachments as they
arrive, they go to  new Eudoras attachment file on the hard drive.
And if I want to look at a picture again it comes up on a Desktop
Picture place that also has desktop patterns (if you want to change
the monitor background.  This seems to be the only place I can open
photos.  Shouldn't I be able to have a folder...say 'hosta pictures'
where I could save them as I receive them, that would be easier to
get at than all this various file opening I have to do now?  Hard
drive...systems folder..Eudora folder..attachments folder...desktop
pictures...and finallly...'Moonlight Sonata'.  And I haven't been
able to combine my old Eudora attachments folder with new Eudora.

And there are people who say computers are easy!  I spend more time
struggling with this thing than I do learning interesting info. about
hostas, daylilies, etc.    A computer stumble/bumple, Linda K.
Minnesota zone 4