Re: H.'Chirifu'

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>; <hawesj@atlantic.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2000 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: H.'Chirifu'

> Chris Wilhoite wrote:
>
> > Mr. Hawes,
> >
> >  I acquired seed of said plant a few years back from Ran Lydell. My
experience with that seed was that not all seedlings were streaked. Cannot
wait to attempt another try, seeing as how this seed is from a very valuable
plant.

> > Chris Wilhoite
> > 1325 Fairbanks Drive
> > Carmel, IN 46033-2333
> > z5
>
> Dear Chris,
>
> If you got seed of Chirifu from Ran Lydell a few years back, you got
approximately the same seed that I have offered. I gave Ran a piece of
Chirifu

> Regarding your statement that NOT ALL SEEDLINGS WERE STREAKED????I do not
think that there are ANY parent plants which produce 100 percent streaked
progeny.
*****************
Hi Jim
*****
Chris
The seeds yoiu got were , indeed , from the plant I got from Jim.  They were
"open pollinated" (We know the mama, but the dadys were traveling salesmen)
.  I soulld add thet as Jim says, there seems to be an overwxpectetion of
the percentage of streaked seedlings that may be produced from a streaked
parent.  sometimes is is even less than one in ten.  For me what is most
oimoportant, is not quantity, but quality.  One really good seedling from a
few hundred seeds, is pretty good!
Thanks
Ran