Re: Slugg Eggs

OK, pay attention!  First of all you do not have to crush the slugs.  I keep
a bucket or a 3# coffee can with me while I clear the garden.  I have put
some dish detergent in the can with a small amount of water.  This will
drown or kill them.  This type of vessel seems more stable and less likely
to be knocked over accidentally.  I simply drop the slugs into it as I find
them.  The eggs I simply crush with my gloved finger right where I find
them. They are very fragile.  Just a bead of water at this point.

Lots of work but worth the effort.  I literally had slugs hanging on the
tree trunks after a rain 2 years ago and now I have to report that I rarely
see a slug.  I have found ways to detect slugs in the garden quite by
accident.  1. quickly and lightly crush a slug on the pavement close to a
garden area suspected of slugs and wait to see if other slugs appear to eat.
You want most of the slugs body parts to be there to attract other slugs.
Gross but effective. 2.  If you have an area where you can create standing
water such as after a torrent of rain, the slugs will surface to get out of
the flooded area.
Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5