Re: Slug Eggs

Dear Lou,

I run two businesses so my time is also limited.  Most of my work is done on
weekends.  I do have a bit more time in the morning (although right now it
is dark until I go to work, so that is impossible) and an hour in the
evening.  My children are raised but my husband is a stickler on having
dinner at home.  He is a big help in that area and helps prepare dinner and
do dishes.  We delay dinner at this time of year and I work that hour in the
evenings collecting slugs, crushing eggs, and cutting off hosta leaves.  If
you ever wondered how many slugs are in your garden, now is the time to see
them.  Go out in the morning or evening, cut or pull leaves off of the
hostas that have collapsed and examine them.  Slugs especially like the
yellowed and decaying foliage.  They are clinging to the leaves, petioles
and in the base of the plant.  It is really gross!    I do not compost the
leaves because of this, I know they are clinging to the foliage and
therefore bag them and send them to the public compost heap.   For all I
see, I know there are ? that I do not see.

I do not like slugs in my garden and will continue my battle until it is at
an acceptable level, but do not expect I will ever be slug free.
Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5