From: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com
[mailto:owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of Lu Treadway
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 11:38 PM
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: Slug Eggs

Dan, slug eggs are eating my hostas?

early in the season as in spring? Is there anything I can do now?
I'll give the ammonia solution a try. I was wondering what vinegar would do
to them.

Beth, I have a little over 2.5 acres, but I garden about an acre and a half
I guess. About 800 varieties with I'd guess somewhere in the 1100 plants
count. Never really counted them. My biggest problem is the hours I work. I
leave the house about 6:30 and get back about 12 hours later, when it's
dark. Then there's dinner, and kids, and...well you get the picture. I try
to fit it all in on weekends and somehow spending days upon days hand
picking the eggs sounds un-doable.

I remember reading someone's post about how they lay the eggs in clusters.
These clusters are about 14-20 eggs per 'laying' and they aren't all on the
plants. They are laying them under leaves and near logs, etc. I lifted a log
and found a bunch of them and did kill them. I like your idea of dropping
them into soapy water. That would save lots of time. Just gotta get to the
eggs before they hatch.

Thanks,

Lu