Seedlings and Sports

  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: Seedlings and Sports
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:08:30 EST

In a break from tradition, I can now tell you, before HIF, the subject of Bob
Solberg's presentation.  For years we have joked with Bob that he was Mr.
"TBA" ("to be announced") as he was so often listed in local and regional
clubs' speaking schedules as "topic TBA."  Well, Bob decided to throw us a
soft, hanging, curve ball and let us know in advance that this year's topic
for Hosta in Focus is "Seedlings and Sports."  He plans on comparing and
contrasting the two and giving us his perspective on how they fit into the
overall hosta world, and, in how we make our garden selections.

If you haven't yet signed up for Hosta in Focus, please get your registration
in as soon as possible as I have to provide the hotel with the guaranteed
number of meals, and payment 72 hours in advance of the event.  Thus, I need
to receive your registration by Tuesday, November 7 (election day and there
is no mail delivery!) at the latest!

I am again attaching a registration form for your use.  I am also attaching a
schedule of events for those that are coming and those who are on the border
of deciding.  Hope to see you there!

MID-ATLANTIC REGIONAL HOSTA SOCIETY

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2000

4:00 - 6:00 P.M.        REGISTRATION AT THE HOSPITALITY SUITE
4:00 - 6:00 P.M.        ENTRIES ACCEPTED FOR PHOTO CONTEST
6:00 - 8:00 P.M.        DINNER (ON YOUR OWN - INFORMAL GET
TOGETHERS)
6:00 - 11:00 P.M.       HOSPITALITY SUITE OPEN, INFORMAL VIDEO
    SHOWS, SNACKS, BEVERAGES

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2000

7:30 - 8:30 A.M.        REGISTRATION IN THE LOBBY AREA
7:30 - 8:30 A.M.        ENTRIES ACCEPTED FOR PHOTO CONTEST
8:30 - 8:45 A.M.        KICKOFF AND INTRODUCTIONS
8:45 - 9:30 A.M.        Sandie Markland - "Gardening with Hosta on a Smaller
                Scale"
9:30 - 10:30 A.M.       Mark Zilis-"The Hosta Handbook, Musings"
10:30 - 10:15 A.M.      BREAK and BOOK SIGNING
10:45 - 11:45 A.M.      Kevin Walek - "What's Eating My Hosta"
11:45 - 12:00 A.M.      SLIDE COMPETITION
12:00 - 1:15 P.M.       LUNCH AND VOTING
1:15 - 2:15 P.M.        Bob Solberg - "Seedlings and Sports"
2:15 - 3:15 P.M.        Special Auction
3:15 - 3:30 P.M.        Break
3:30 - 4:15 P.M.        EXPERT PANEL - KEVIN WALEK MODERATOR
4:15 - 4:30 P.M.        CONTEST AWARDS
4:30 - 5:15 P.M.        POTOMAC HOSTA CLUB MEETING AND ELECTIONS
4:30 - 6:00 P.M.        HOSPITALITY ROOM
6:00 - 7:00 P.M.        COCKTAIL HOUR
7:00 - 8:00 P.M.        DINNER
8:00 - 8:45 P.M.        Mike Shadrack - "Hosta Around the 'Pond'"
9:00 - ????         HOSPITALITY SUITE, INFORMAL SLIDE
SHOWS,BEVERAGES, SNACKS

FOCUS ON HOSTAS AND HAVE A GREAT TIME
Kevin Walek, FESTIVAL CHAIRMAN

-----------------

HOSTA-IN-FOCUS FESTIVAL
REGISTRATION/ENTRY FORM

NAME(S)______________________   NAMES ON NAMETAG_____________________

        ______________________                    _____________________

        ______________________                    _____________________

STREET _________________  CITY ___________________ STATE___ ZIP _______

Contact Phone No. _________________________

Please check the categories that apply:

I/We plan to attend         I/We plan to enter (if you need contest rules
contact
Lunch/Presentations____ Prints____            Kevin at the address below)
Hospitality Room____        Album____
Optional Dinner____           Slides____

I/we plan to stay at the hotel (these reservations must be made with the
hotel directly say your are with the Hosta group)  _____

FEES                    X   NO. OF PEOPLE   =   TOTAL THIS ITEM

REGISTRATION (DAYTIME
SPEAKERS AND LUNCHEON)  $55 X

OPTIONAL DINNER
AND SPEAKER         $40 X

ENTRY FEE (NON-
ATTENDEES
WHO WISH TO
ENTER CONTEST)          $15 X

    ENCLOSED IS A CHECK FOR         GRAND TOTAL  ______________

PLEASE MAIL THIS FORM AND CHECK MADE OUT TO:
MID-ATLANTIC REGIONAL HOSTA SOCIETY
TO KEVIN P. WALEK, 9122 JOHN WAY, FAIRFAX STATION, VA 22039-3042

Kevin P. Walek