Fungus (cross-post w/Perennials & Shadegardens)

  • Subject: Fungus (cross-post w/Perennials & Shadegardens)
  • From: DiannThoma@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 23:01:09 -0400

(I wonder what the cross-over membership is between Shadegardens, Perennials, and Hosta-open.  Might be interestingly tight!  Anyway, sorry for any inconvenience for cross-posting.)

I don't hear much about fungus in these listservs.  It's possible I have many incidences of fungus in my gardens (or hopefully, I'm just paranoid; but a guy at my local plant nursery identified a Great Expectations browning incidence as a possible fungus, and it's not the only plant looking like that....)

Do many of you fight fungus?  What kind of plants are highly succeptible?  What do you do about it?  Is it fatal?  Does it come back next year if you don't do anything?  Some of my old lilly of the valley look horrible right now: brown-red leaves with black spots everywhere.  Is that fungus??

Also, how are English cottage gardens maintained without lots of fungus and mildew and rust spreading around (i.e., not much air space in there)??

Thanks, oh ye gurus!