Re: Observation........

  • Subject: Re: Observation........
  • From: JMFLIES@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:46:44 EDT

CCREDUX@aol.com writes:

Hi Joyce,
Would you tell us what was the composition of the soil in the container. Are your containers clay or something else? Also, do you leave hostas in pots thru the winter?If so, how do you protect them.?
Thanks,

Clyde Crockett z5 Indy IN

Clyde,
Good to hear from you again.

The soil in the container was a potting soil out of a bag that also had peat moss in it, I really don't believe anything else.  Cannot give you the name of it, I had used all of it and don't have the bag.  The container is a cement urn type pot.  I do use peat moss in the gardens as well.

I have never left a plant in a pot over winter.  In fact, this is only the second time of putting one in a pot.  I just feel safer planting it in the garden as to leaving it in the pot.  Have heard to many horror stories the other way.

As I said the root system was incredible compared to the one in the garden.  If Miracle Grow was the answer I sure would like to find away to do put it on the beds each week.
  -  Joyce

JOYCE M. FLIES
PANTHEON HOSTA GARDENS
"The Friendship Plant'