Re: Potted Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Potted Hostas
  • From: "Kate Ardissono" <ardissono@home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:56:13 -0500

I had an observation from last years group of my hosta plants that wintered
in Pots.  I had 85 in various size pots.  11 did not come up in the spring.
2 came up very slowly but did come up.  The nine that did not make it were
either on top of one of the piles or on the outside of the pile.  Each pile
of pots was bundled together and covered in Oak leaves to buffer it.  One
pile was exposed to the north winds had about 30 of the pots.  It lost 4 of
the hosta and had the 2 that came up slowly.  The one pile  was buffered by
the house and bushes and had 30 pots tucked in.  It lost 2.  The last batch
was lined up to a north wall without much else besides oak leaves. It lost
the remaining 5.  This year I still have about 30 in pots I will probably
bury them in soil cover it with chicken wire then leaves.   I'll cover all
my beds this year in chicken wire then leaves on top. (the chicken wire is
for the voles)  From the signs given by nature it's going to be a rough
winter!  We have more acorns then I've seen it 10 years.  The wolly worms
are thickly marked.  The squirrel tails are very thick.

I may want to move to Atlanta if it gets too cold - Can I move in - I'll
bring the Hosta