Re: Observation........

  • Subject: Re: Observation........
  • From: EntICE11@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:07:40 EDT

In a message dated 10/06/2001 7:20:25 PM Central Daylight Time, JMFLIES@aol.com writes:

Am starting to think everything should be in pots???  Possibly not for the winter, but for the growing season and then POSSIBLY pot and all planted in the ground for the winter months

Joyce,
Ok on that point I have two cents...
I tired the pot menthod on some hostas that went into the ground under an oak. They were in total sand. The thought behind that was that the pot would hlep hold in moisture and nutrition. For that garden it was wrong. the plants got smaller and did not do as well at the ones not in pots.
I would guess the people from Miracle Grow would say it was their stuff that made the roots grow. Might have to agree with them.
It isn't as balanced as osmacote...and isn't time released...but at the dosages you were giving were probably better for the hosta, than the dumping a high heat day can do to the osmacote.
Now for sake of argument...in my front garden where the hostas there are fighing for everything against the Poplar roots. I have my Lakside Shoremaster in a huge pot in the ground..and it is thriving. Another exception to a rule.

Paula
Blaine,Mn