RE: Potted Hostas

  • Subject: RE: Potted Hostas
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:44:48 -0400

I have been potting up many of the hostas in my garden. What

We don't have very severe winters, and only get 2-3 days of
snow during the coldest of winter days. So, once these
puppies go dormant, should they be watered? If so, once a
week? once a month? twice a month? I'd be afraid of the
water freezing at night and causing root damage.

I know I've heard others say that they have overwintered
pots in their garages. Wish I had a garage big enough to
house this many plants. Right now they are sitting in the
woods, protected from the sun by the canopy of the trees.
But what happens when the leaves begin to drop?

Hi Lu

My zone is about a 6, so quite, quite different from yours. From what I
understand, water is something they do not want during their dormancy. Too
much in fact can cause crown rot.

This year I have about 40 or so in pots.  I have created an area under a
large pine tree using large rocks as a border.  The pine keeps much of the
rain off (it MUST be watered suring warm weather), and the snow, so water
won;t be a problem. The pots will be placed in this area and the spaces
filled in with shredded pine bark mulch, along with a top covering over the
pots as well, as soon as thigns start to freeze up. If you do it too soon,
mice may move in - You, in your zone, probably don;t have to worry too much
about muching for insulation.

I've spoken with a couple of growers about it - they also leave their pots
out of the ground and simply throw a tarp over the pots to keep out exces
moisture. This also might work well for you. Some people find success simply
turning the pots on their sides, again - no rain/snow. The plants should be
fine as long as they are cold and fairly dry.

Hope this helps some

Helen
---