Re: Observation........

  • Subject: Re: Observation........
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:54:47 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/01 11:37:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net writes:

<< Paula and Gerry, I grow thousands of hostas in pots all year long.  I too
 believe we usually get better roots in containers.  I believe this is
 because the mixture in containers are more porous. I may be a way out on
 this one but I think hosta roots like to breath. Over and over I have
 compared root development in containers compared to theses in the garden and
 most always the container plants win. I have discovered a new potting soil
 that produces even better roots. They are larger and longer so the plant

Mary, you did not say what the potting soil is.

I think that I have said this before but I will say it again.  My friend who
owns greenhouses and feed store has thousands of hostas in gallon pots.  He
just covers the whole bunch of them with heavy plastic and puts weights all
the way around so it does not blow off.  He rarely loses a plant, we are zone
5 here.  He has way too many hostas to give special treatment to them.

Freezing and thawing can be the hardest thing for the hostas, they seem to be
fine under the clear plastic though.