Re: Observation

  • Subject: Re: Observation
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:03:56 +0100

Mary, Bill, Chick....

  Some small observations and a couple of questions. Certainly over the
years  the roots on different seedlings  have appeared to me to be fairly
distinct in initial growth rate and of course with those roots that head
into stoloniferous patterns. Has there been any study or research done in
comparing the root growth rate and form, in different species of hosta?
Roots certainly respond to the kind of soil they are in some aspects of the
form they take, yet  ( at least for me) an ideal soil, does not guarantee
wonderful root growth (even with a healthy plant above). This seems to take
us back to the problems of figuring out the nurture / nature aspects of the
roots. Also there have been a number of occasions over the years where I
have dug a plant and discovered a wonderful root system  hosting a rather
pathetic plant above. I know that there could easily be a number of other
factors involved in this kind of incident, but I have found at least a few
plants where minimal roots have a wonderful lush and large plant above
them. I guess I am  suggesting that the connection between roots and plants
might be a far more subtle thing that we imagine. Just to be whimisical
for a second, perhaps root "types" could be another criteria for
determining hosta species. Why should what is above ground get all of the
glory? With all of this I recognize the danger of anecdotal information.
Glen W.

From Vermont where there are two seasons: winter and road work.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.