Forcing hostas for an indoor show

  • Subject: Forcing hostas for an indoor show
  • From: Réjean Millette <bomil@total.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:58:29 -0400

We are participating in the Quebec International Indoor Landscape Garden Show in Quebec City fron April 4th to 14th 2002.
We are the only Society having a garen, with more than 20 countries, a dozen of big cities and other provinces.
We will have a garden of 650 square feet to landscape.
We have many hostas in 3 or 4 gallon pots.They have to be in containers for the show.
That raise few questions.
The hostas need a period of dormancy. They are now outside, and they will be covered with a geotextile blanket for the beginning of winter.
They will all be moved in an greenhouse in the beginning of January to be forced and be ready for the show. Then they must be full folliage.
Before January the outside weather could be minus 20 degrees celtius.
The technique we are using are they good?
If not I need suggestions.
Thank for your help and comments.
Reggie D. Millette
Quebec Hostas and Hemerocallis Society