Re: hostas still looking good

  • Subject: Re: hostas still looking good
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:13:21 -0400

Hi Dan,

that's odd, because a bunch of my hostas are coloring up, but plantaginea, p. Aphrodite, Fragrant Bouquet, Gauc, FGT and FB are all ranging from just mild coloring on some leaves, to no signs of impending dormancy at all. They are also spaced in various places throughout my yard.

Dan Nelson wrote:

About 40% of my hostas are still looking ok. Those that look best are under low and heavy tree canopy cover. Those in the open are quickly fading and it's hard to tell one cultivar from the other. It seem to me that hostas with the species H. 'plantaginea' in their heritage are the first to look bad with the first frost. Dan Nelson