Hosta foliage types

  • Subject: Hosta foliage types
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

In regard to the comments about cetain hostas looking better then
others in the fall, do hostas have deciduous and non-deciduous foliage
types like daylilies.  In daylilies we have deciduous types which are
photoperiod induced and non-deciduous types which are not affected by
photoperiod.  The non-deciduous types are further broken down into
semi-evergreen and evergreen, although there is still considerable
difference of opinion about excatly what these two terms mean.  When I
look at hostas in the fall I see difference that might follow the
daylily foliage type model, which can explain why some hosta foliage
looks better in the fall.  However, I haven't seen any specific
references to deciduous vs non-deciduous or differnece in temperature
sensitivity of non-deciduous types in hostas.  Are there any hostas
that will stay evergreen down in the South if they don't get freezing

Joe Halinar