Re: Still looking good ??

  • Subject: Re: Still looking good ??
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:01:47 -0400

Hi Ben,

I think it has more to do with garden location, perhaps. We have had nighttime temps averaging in the 40's for the last several weeks, and light frost, even, on one night. One other night, it did also get down into freezing range, but it was windy.

I wonder how soil composition plays a role, too? The bed that used to be under my compost heap, is the one in which most of my plants are looking the best. The ones with poorer soil, seem to be the ones hit first, by dormancy.

-A.

zonneveld wrote:

Hardly any of my hostas is still looking good except a few longipes
relatives. Yet we did not have any frost However,   most of
september we had night temp around 50 F ( 10C). I think this low
night temp did bring them in winter mood very fast.
I suppose those that reported many good lookers  had higher night
temp in september?
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden